When you receive braces you may need to make a few lifestyle changes to ensure that your treatment stays on-track. This includes certain foods that you will need to avoid in order to prevent damage to your braces. Dr. William Domeyer and our team will provide you with a list of foods to avoid as well as any other instructions needed at the time that you begin your treatment. Give Domeyer Smiles a call at 561-734-2900 to learn more about life with braces and to schedule your appointment with our orthodontist in Lake Worth or Boynton Beach, Florida.
Some of the foods you should avoid while wearing braces include:
- Chewy foods, such as bagels and licorice
- Crunchy foods, such as popcorn, ice and chips
- Sticky foods, such as caramel and chewing gum
- Hard foods, such as nuts and hard candies
- Foods that require biting into to eat, such as corn on the cob, raw carrots and uncut apples
These foods can cause damage to your braces or become trapped between your braces, contributing to tooth decay and other damaging dental conditions. As your teeth and jaws can only move into their proper positions when your appliances are in good condition, we strongly recommend that you follow all instructions carefully, and that you contact our office if your oral appliances break or if you have any questions.